Reading Notes: The Giant Crab-Part A

 For this weeks reading I chose the Jatakas of The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. Once again, these stories immediately stuck out to me for the use of animal characters. I feel like any story is more approachable and relatable for people when the characters are unsuspecting animals. However, with animals, I feel like there is so much room to create a new persona and character qualities without people having as many preconceived biases like they do for typical story characters. These animal based stories also have the ability to reach a large demographic audience spanning all the way from little kids up to adults. The underlying message of most these stories is one that many people can relate to and ultimately learn good moral lessons from.

The story of the Giant Crab was not my overall favorite story in terms of plot; however, the writing style it contained was very interesting and something that I think would be good to try out. In my own writing I often feel as if some of my sentences seem to ramble on and not have the greatest comma or punctuation in place to help them flow most efficiently. In this story of the Giant Crab, the author makes great use of both commas, semi colons and conjunctions. I most definitely want to pin this page in particular to come back to and read examples of how to add all three of these elements into one story and its sentences.

I also enjoyed The Talkative Tortoise. I tend to be someone who talks quite often and so I resonated with the tortoise of this story. I like this tale because it has a great message of both listening and knowing when to be able to keep ones mouth shut. In the end, the tortoise does not survive because he was unable to carry out both of those tasks.
Crab from VectorStock


Bibliography:
Title: The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India
Author: W. H. D. Rouse
Year: 1897

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day