Week 3 Story

 Rama's Revenge

Rama was for the most part a good ruler; however, he had made quite a group of enemies in his lifetime. In a fit of rage Rama had killed a man named Damon and his son fled to the hills after witnessing the event. Ever since the son had been living a quiet life secluded life as a recluse in the forest when Jarron burst into his hut.

"I have planned your revenge. I am going to kidnap Rama's wife," Jarron stated.

"That is a ridiculous idea and you will surely be killed."

"I will not," replied Jarron, "because you are going to help me."

Through great convincing, Jarron talked the lonely son into disguising himself as a golden deer to lure Rama out of his home. Once Rama had left the confines of his safe house, the pair would lead him into a secluded area of the woods and tie him up. By tying him up, Rama would be unable to stop them from taking his wife.

While Rama was struggling to set himself free, Jarron ran back to the house as fast as he possibly could. Upon reaching the house he yelled at Sita, Rama's wife, to follow him immediately.

"Come with me now of your own free will or I will tie you up and carry you away."

Sita was a stubborn woman who did not like to be told what to do and adamantly refused to do so. This outraged Jarron and he swiftly bound Sita up in the same way he had Rama back in the forrest. 

At a snap of his fingers a horse appeared in the sky and he took Sita with him to never be seen again by Rama.

Flying Horse from Horse and Hound


Bibliography

76. Ravana Visits Maricha https://sites.google.com/view/tinyramayana/part-b/page-8authuser=0#h.g5lxpyk502ln

Author's Note

This story was originally a story of Ravana, who I renamed Jarron, and Maricha who I left as the son of Damon. The story used a golden deer to lure Rama out and I decided to leave that the same because it showed that Rama was greedy in some ways. The original story had the character Lakshmana but I chose to omit him. Sita was the original wife in the story so I kept her the same. Overall, I chose to use 4 different 100 word stories and mash them together into one. 

Comments

  1. Hi Carlee!
    I enjoyed your take on the stories surrounding Sita's kidnapping. At first, I thought the characters Jarron and Damon were from a TV show or something, but then I read your author's note that said otherwise. Why did you decide to change Ravana's and Maricha's names? I like that you altered the original story slightly by having Sita be a little more independent: Lakshmana nor his line were not there to protect her, and resisted a little bit against Jarron's attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlee! Your spin on Rama's greediness which led to the kidnapping of Sita. I saw you mentioned that you changed the names of Ravana and Maricha to Jarron and Damon. I am curious as to why you chose to rename those two characters, but not Rama and Sita? I thought the revenge plotting by Damon's son and Jarron was interesting to read. To further that idea, maybe you could write about how his son felt after he got revenge. Did he feel satisfied or restless? It could totally be made up! You could also write more about Rama's greediness and maybe what he felt like after. Did he regret killing Damon? I think it would be interesting to read more of Rama's internal struggle with himself based on the decisions he has made which lead to his wife being captured. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and can't wait to read what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carlee, love your story. Taking multiple different ideas from different stories seems fun and is definitely something I want to try myself. Re naming characters was something I liked to do as well. The combination of narration but also quotes shows an all around story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carlee,

    I really enjoyed reading over your story, and feel like you did a great job! I also feel like it is a unique telling of the story from the Ramayana, but you made it your own. The imagery you used in your story was nice, and I could picture what was going on throughout. I was interested to see why you didn't change the names of Rama and Sita.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day