Reading Notes: The Jatakas-Part B

 The second Part of the Jatakas was just as fun to read as the first. I really enjoyed the almost childlike stories that were told all while having a deeper rooted meaning. Many of these stories carry different little twists or turns that I am not expecting. I always seem to catch myself trying to figure out how a story is going to end and concocting in my mind what I think should happen. In most of these stories I found myself on the right track but not piecing together the whole puzzle.

My favorite story in this Part of the Jatakas was The Crab and the Crane. In this story, the crane is shifty and figures a way to trick the fish into allowing him to carry them to a new pond full of water when in reality he is just taking them away to eat them one by one. I saw that twist from the very beginning. However, after the crane has eaten all of the fish and the reader suspects the story is over, the author introduces a new character, the crab. I like how the crab is smart and outwits the crane. In the end, the crane is left to die in the spot where he ate all the fish and left there bones.

In my upcoming writing I want to try to find ways to add in little twists here and there that will throw the reader off and keep them on their toes. I think that this would be a great way to keep the reader engaged and wanting to know more.

Crab from Flickr
Bibliography: Ellen C. Babbitt, 1912, The Jataka Tales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day