Reading Notes: The Giant Crab-Part B

This part of the Jatakas has been so fun to read. Both parts A and B from this week my very well be my one of my most favorite so far. All these stories remind me of my childhood and have been able to show me the reasons for which I fell in love with reading as a child. I want my writing to emulate these characteristics and make people see their childlike love of reading stories.

The use of descriptive words contained throughout these little tales would be useful to give some good ideas for writing almost any type of story. The way in which the story Spend a Pound to Win a Penny used this type of language helped me to see the whole scene. Descriptive language has the ability to paint the writer into the scene so it is almost as if they are seeing it up close and personal. This story in particular was one I truly enjoyed due to the underlying theme it carried with it. From the onset of the story, a reader may assume it is just going to be a silly tall tale about a monkey; however, by the end of the story, you realize that it is really a story about being greedy and how it can cause one to lose it all. Once again, a story that people young and old can benefit from reading. 

Monkey from Getty Images

Another story I enjoyed in this section of the reading was Silence is Golden. For this story I did not particularly enjoy the underlying themes or the way it ended with the cub being shamed and bullied by the others. But this writing contained within it two poem like portions. I have never seen stories with this kind of writing but think it would be a fun way to mix it up from time to time.

Bibliography:
Title: The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India
Author: W. H. D. Rouse
Year: 1897

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day