Mahabharata Reading Notes-Part D

 For Part D of the Mahabharata Notes I actually switched up which version I was reading. The public domain version ended up being much easier for me to read as I realized the other was more of a condensed overview and was why I was so lost.

Most of the stories contained in part D gave me visions of Africa, particularly Egypt. Particularly, the story The Mongoose made me think of Bible times in Egypt when there was a great famine. I think this story is one that could be changed into a love story where the god in this story could be a king or princess. When after the whole family has given up their small portion of food and the feeble daughter gladly gives her portion over to their guest, that is when the family realizes it was their ruler. The ruler is so grateful for his kind servants that he takes the daughter as his wife and brings the whole family into the palace where they have all the food their hearts desire. One thing that would need to change is that the young girl be the families actual daughter and not the daughter-in-law that was married to the man's son. However, I guess in ancient times many men took multiple wives, so why could she not have multiple husbands? Just a thought.

Another story that I think I could put my own twist on from this part is Ashwatthaman's Jewel. I think this would be a fun story that needs elaborating on. The story builds up in a good way and when Draupadi demands that Ashwatthaman's jewel be taken from him and returned to her it is done within one sentence. It could really fun to see how Arjuna pursued him and how he was able to conquer him and take the jewel as it was in Ashwatthaman's forehead.

Draupadi from Wikimedia Commons


Bibliography:

The Story of the Great War: The Mongoose by Annie Besant (1899). 

Indian Myth and Legend:Ashwatthaman's Jewel by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day