Week 2 Story

 The Snake and the Ferret's Heart

In a hidden forest deep in the mountains of India a sly snake and his wife lived and ruled the ground, along with the river that ran through its center. 

All the forest animals were terribly frightened to ever go near the pair of snakes for they were ruthless and unforgiving.

One day the snake's wife spotted a lone ferret frolicing through the forest and knew instantly that she must have him. She commanded the snake to bring her the ferret's heart or she may perish.

The snake concocted his plan and knew just what he would do to lure the ferret down close enough to snatch him. 

As the ferret approached, the snake called out to him saying, "Oh Mr.Ferret you must be mighty thirsty. If you come down to this river right here I'll lead you to the best drinking spot."

"How kind of you," replied the ferret as he scurried down to the river's edge next to the snake.

The snake instantly began to coil his body around the ferret so he might not move.

The ferret squealed in agony, "Please! Please stop! Whatever are you doing to me!"

"My wife commands I bring her your heart."

"Well you and your wife must be terribly mistaken. Ferret's do not have hearts."

At this the snake was utterly confused and knew not what he should do. 

"You should let me go at once and I will bring you back someone better for your wife that does have a heart," said the ferret.

At this, the snake angry and upset released the ferret. As soon as he was free from the snake's grip, the ferret darted away as fast and furious as he could, never to be seen again in this part of the forest.


Ferret from Pixabay

Author's Note: For this story, I used the same basic premise but decided to change up the animals. Instead of using a crocodile, I chose to use snakes because they carry the same persona of not very friendly.

Source: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie L. Shedlock.

Comments

  1. Hey Carlee! I really like the switch up from the monkey and a crocodile to a ferret and a snake. It helps change the environment as well, with a forest rather than a lake. I also appreciate how specific details remain consistent in both stories, as it connects the narratives. For example, both the crocodile and the snake wanted the animal’s heart for their wife, but both were tricked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carlee, the title of your story is absolutely adorable! I used to own a ferret named Binx, so I was very excited to read what you had to write. I had a good idea what story you took inspiration from and I thought you did a very good job making it your own! The title had me a little scared for what would happen to the ferret, but I was glad to see he escaped!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me:)

Week 5 Story: Gossip and the Swim Day